Saturday, March 2, 2013

Blessed beyond belief


     I have been neglecting my blog. Sorry friends it’s been for a good cause I promise.  I have been immersed in training for the Avon walk.   Last weekend 15 miles was on the training schedule, seven miles of Saturday and eight miles on Sunday.  That is very time consuming. Luckily I have an amazing Dad who has joined me on three of my long distance training days.  My super supportive sister even made it out to do a four mile trek! My husband has been very encouraging and accommodating picking up the slack with household chores.  My family is without a doubt the best, most supportive family ever!
     Finding the right shoes has been quite an ordeal. Unfortunately, I’m not the kind of girl that can pick up any shoe and it works for me.  That is true for athletic, casual, and dress shoes. I have narrow heels, but a wider forefoot.   I also have high but very flexible arches and plantar fasciitis. With all this going on shoe shopping is NOT my favorite thing to do. So I went to Luke’s Locker where I was fitted for shoes.  I walked up and down the track there, answered a few questions and then I tried on a few pairs. The shoes I ended up with were bright and colorful.  I loved them.  However, my feet didn’t feel the same.  Luckily, Luke’s has such great customer service that I was allowed to take them back and try another pair.  This time I had a different person helping me.  He had me go through the same routine.   This time I tried on three different types of shoes, two that were traditional style running shoes and one that was very “outside the box”.  All three felt good in the store but since my feet are not “traditional” I decided to try the non-traditional shoes. They are Altra Zero Drop footwear and they are working much better so far.  If exercise hurts, then you check out your shoes, they are most likely not the right ones for the training you’re doing, or they are too old. Look for a place like Luke’s Locker,  that will actually fit you for the correct shoe.
     Today I walked 9 miles. My dad was by my side the entire time.  The miles are getting easier and easier.  I have a sneaky sensation that I am going to rock this 39.3 miles with energy and a lot of time to spare! I have an easy day tomorrow, its only 6 miles;-). 


"Well, I guess I must've done something right

Some other time or place, maybe some other life
There's no way I deserve how I've been blessed
If it was up to me I'd still be a mess



'Cause I'm a whole lot better than I ought to be
Don't know why things keep going right for me
All I've ever done is run wild and free
I'm a whole lot better than I ought to be"- Randy Rogers Band

No comments:

Post a Comment