Friday, January 18, 2013

You gotta TRY


           Now that I am on this public journey, I have been asked a lot of questions about what I am eating, or doing for exercise. The majority of the time, while I am explaining my program, I am met with comments like,” oh well that’s too time consuming” or “I just don’t have the energy”.  Some say, “I need to lose weight then I will tone up”.  These responses remind me of my same “reasons” that where really excuses.  I had to decide that no matter what I had to get healthy. (Not skinny, healthy)
           I don’t know about you but exercise was scary when it was new. Things “hurt” and “burn” that I didn't even know existed. My legs shook and I SWEAT! Oh the horror!!  From what I have learned you have to find what works for you. Not all work outs are alike, and not all are made for everybody. My friends run the gamut on what “their” work outs are. I have P90x friends, cross fit friends, pole dancing (for fitness) friends, running friends, Dancing friends and even friends who create their own programs.  All have found what works for them.  By works I mean, gets them results while enjoying their work out in the process. I happen to love the ChaLean Extreme. This program is a combination of weight training, and interval cardio.
           As far as my diet it’s pretty simple. By diet I mean what I eat, not some crazy cabbage soup, or any other FAD.  I eat egg whites, spinach and Ezekiel toast most mornings for breakfast at about 5:30 am. I have a snack about 7:45 of a piece of fruit or 6 oz plain Greek yogurt with a little granola. During my conference period at about 10ish I have another snack, usually carrots or a string cheese.  My lunch is at noon and I will normally have a spinach salad with tomato and a balsamic drizzle (I really mean a drizzle, then I cover with a lid and shake it to cover as much spinach as possible) and a piece of fruit. This is what works for my schedule in the mornings.  I may or may not eat another snack at about 3:15 in the afternoon.  Lately this snack has been one piece of Ezekiel bread and some turkey breast. I work out about 4 and have dinner cooked by 6.  Dinner is some sort of protein be it poultry, lean pork or fish, with 2 different steamed veggies. We did have steak tonight, and that is rare to medium rare.  I try not to eat after that but sometimes I cave and have some more yogurt.  Portion size is key, mine are small. 
          Time is a huge factor for me. I am a very busy person. I work a full time job. I have to children that are involved in after school activities, and I am involved in my church on a weekly basis. I couldn't wait around for the fitness fairy to wave her magic wand. Shhhhh… but she doesn't exist! I had to make time. I had to make the decision. I have to get up every morning a say… you can do this. 
There are days I just don’t feel like working out. If I will just start the work out, I will get right in the groove. These are the days I end up pushing the hardest. Today there were 2 cakes in the lounge. I didn't even want a piece, I did however, eat 2 sausage and cheese kolaches. I ended doing lunges all around school and jumping jacks while running some copies.  The guilt weighed more than the kolaches could have ever added.  I had to just forgive myself and move on. I did still kind of punish myself with a super intense cardio session, I pushed harder than ever. Now I know I can do it, and will continue to do so, without the kolaches. 

"Where there is desire, There is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame, Someone's bound to get burned
But just because it burns, Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try try try, Gotta get up and try try try
You gotta get up and try try try"- Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment